In 2008, I pitched and was commissioned to direct ‘Flatpack Stories’ for Channel 4’s ‘3 Minute Wonder’ strand. The series of shorts explore Britain’s love-hate relationship with the Swedish brand, IKEA.
- Flatpack Stories: Saturday - A simple trip to buy a blind puts John and Fiona’s relationship to the test.
- Flatpack Stories: Sunday - Whilst Dave struggles to build a cabinet for his girlfriend, she takes time to take it easy.
- Flatpack Stories: Trolleys - Roger makes one of his weekly trips to retrieve shopping trolleys that have gone astray.
- Flatpack Stories: Car Park - An afternoon in IKEA's Car Park.
- Flatpack Stories: The Shop That God Built - Deeply religious, Diane and Nathaneal think the store was built for them by God.
- Flatpack Stories: Lights Out - The last shopper has left the building and an army of nocturnal workers descends.
- Flatpack Stories: Passing Time - Recently widowed, 92 year old Mohammed walks around the store to ease his loneliness.
TX April 2009
‘A series of shorts… begins beguilingly tonight with a mini-film that depicts a squabbling couple buying a window blind - and it quite possibly says as much about their relationship as would be revealed in a full-size documentary.’